Many women find that taking vitamins and supplements can help them to better manage their menopause symptoms. We look at some essential supplements to keep in your handbag…
From hot flushes and night sweats, to low libido, fatigue, dry skin and mood swings - menopause can bring with it a whole host of symptoms. Around half of menopausal women now use a natural supplement to help support their journey through the menopause. Here’s our pick of the top 5 products you shouldn’t be without:
Femmenessence tablets use a unique blend of vitamins and nutrients which can help to reduce many of the side effects of menopause, as well as supporting bone and heart health.
Containing certified organic MacaGo, which is derived from maca root, they have been clinically proven to significantly improve menopause symptoms for around 80% of women.
The reported benefits include reducing hot flashes and night sweats, boosting energy, improving memory, reducing blood pressure and improving mood. There are two formulations available, depending on your stage of life:
- Femmenessence MacaLife tablets are designed for perimenopausal women. In the years leading up to menopause - known as perimenopause - many women start to experience a range of different menopause symptoms, as their hormones begin to fluctuate. MacaLife tablets offer relief for women who have not yet reached menopause and are still having periods, even if their cycle is irregular.
- Femmenessence MacaPause tablets are uniquely customised for women who have reached menopause - meaning they haven’t had a period for a year or more. Following menopause, women are more at risk from heart disease and problems with bone density, as well as dry skin, and brittle hair and nails. MacaPause tablets can be taken long term, helping to offer protection against these increased risks as well as nourishing your hair, skin and nails.
Promensil menopause tablets are a dietary supplement containing 4 naturally occurring plant oestrogens (isoflavones) extracted from red clover. Red clover is a popular herbal remedy used by many women to help with the symptoms of menopause, including hot flushes and night sweats and breast tenderness, as well as helping to support bone health.
Promensil tablets are available in two different formulations:
- Promensil Double Strength menopause tables are specially formulated to provide a higher dose of active ingredient, and are recommended for women going through the early stages of menopause
- Promensil Original menopause tablets are recommended as a maintenance dose which can be used during and after menopause to provide support and help promote overall wellbeing.
3) Lamberts Fema 45+
Lamberts Fema 45+ tablets are particularly aimed at helping to promote bone health, as well as helping many women with the side effects of menopause, such as hot flushes, low energy levels and mood swings.
Containing a blend of 28 key nutrients, including trace elements and antioxidants, Lamberts Fema 45+ tablets have high levels of B vitamins, which are known to reduce tiredness and fatigue, vitamin E to help with hot flushes and heart health, and calcium, magnesium and vitamins D and K to help support healthy bones.
4) Lindens Hair, Skin and Nails
As women go through menopause, they can experience a number of changes to their skin, hair and nails. When hormone levels start to change, the skin produces less collagen and natural oils, which can make it more difficult to retain moisture - leading to dry, flaky and sensitive skin. Meanwhile, nails can become drier and more prone to breakage, and hair can become thinner and more brittle.
The right nutrients are essential in helping to maintain healthy hair, skin and nails. Lindens Hair, Skin and Nails tablets contain over 20 micronutrients designed to help keep you feeling healthy and looking great.
5) Pharma Nord Bio-Fish Oil
Brain fog can be another significant problem during menopause. If you’re suffering from brain fog, or problems with concentrating or remembering things, Pharma Nord Bio Fish Oil tablets are rich in EPA and DHA Omega 3 essential fatty acids, which can help to maintain the healthy function of the brain and eyes.
As well as supporting cognitive function and maintaining healthy vision, EPA and DHA are also important in helping to support the heart and blood vessels (the cardiovascular system).
In addition to these benefits, EPA and DHA can also help to combat problems with dry and flaky skin.
Please note you should always consult your doctor before taking any supplements, to make sure they don't interact with any existing medication or medical conditions.
By Marian Trudgill
Do read our article: Menopause Supplements - a beginner’s guide. And you can find a wide range of articles and guidance on all aspects of the menopause, from hot flushes and dry skin to brain fog and mood swings, here.
For advice and support, why not join the Live Better With Menopause community forum.